Present-day technology and AI tools have created a way to make mundane tasks drastically easier to complete. In fact, here at Vervoe, we even utilize a built-in AI tool of our own to assist users in grading candidate assessments (which has been such a relief to users)!
However, unfortunately these same tools can be used for not-so-honest reasons, which can ultimately blur the lines between optimization and full-blown cheating. Thankfully, our team at Vervoe is aware of this unfortunate side of AI, so we've come up with a few tips for employers to keep in mind when using our platform.
ChatGPT and other AI tools
As you may be aware, many candidates are using AI tools, like ChatGPT, to research answers to even the trickiest of questions. However, a helpful deterrent to this type of cheating is the use of Vervoe’s immersive question types and simulations. Instead of merely copying and pasting these AI-generated answers, they'll need to demonstrate their abilities.
Vervoe, by design, goes beyond text-based answers to simulate true day-in-the-life scenarios and test candidates' application of their skills through tasks. Imagine watching an Enterprise Sales Associate give a live pitch from a deck they’ve just helped create, a Marketing Analyst pull game-changing insights from data in a spreadsheet, or a UX designer unmuddle and optimize your onboarding flow in under an hour.
Additionally, Vervoe has a plagiarism detection feature that will flag a candidate's assessment if multiple candidates somehow still manage to copy and paste said text answers. If 2 or more answers are the same, each candidate's submission will display a flag, which will be shown from the Select list and Candidate Report Card. We will also soon be integrating ChatGPT to make detection even better, all without penalizing candidates who are able to leverage it to enhance their work performance.
Additional Anti-Cheating Features
In addition to our plagiarism detector, we have many features in place that help make cheating detection much easier:
- Candidate Geolocation Tracking - candidates are flagged whenever they suspiciously complete an assessment from multiple locations, within a short amount of time.
- Randomization - within the assessment creation stage, there are available settings that allow you to randomize multiple-choice answer choices, certain groups of questions that pertain to a particular skill, or you can randomize all questions.
- Visual Checks (Audio & Video Questions) - video and audio questions that give you a real-time look into who is responding to the questions, and if potential cheating has been flagged.
We are working on a number of tools to further enhance our plagiarism capabilities including:
- Comparing writing style across the whole assessment to ensure consistency.
- ‘Warming Up’ the plagiarism detection database by automatically running questions through chatGPT in different variations.
- Automatically sending an answer to chatGPT and asking if it was plagiarized or if it came from chatGPT.
- As soon as OpenAI releases its plagiarism detection feature, Vervoe will implement it. In the meantime, we are investigating and potentially incorporating third-party tools that are specifically created to detect plagiarism.
To learn more about Assessment Creation best practices, check out our article here, or feel free to reach out to your Customer Success Manager!